ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Yvonne Stapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 08:46:09 -0400
I have a background in language deficit (neurolinguistics)
and I'm very familiar with speech-hearing and linguistics
research in the areas of Specific Language Impairment, Wms
Syndrome, delayed L1 development, etc.  I think that
background makes it easy to see the parallels between
various types of language deficit and what I've seen in
unimpaired native speakers' (ESL teachers) formal writing.
I think I emphasized that the authors of the samples I
posted are NOT impaired.  My point that in formal writing we
use more complex vocabulary and sentence structures than we
do in everyday discourse and that mastery of language at
that level apparently is not learned automatically.

There are multiple types of language impairment, but in
general these four things are typical: (1) limitations of
vocabulary (and difficulty acquiring new vocabulary); (2)
limitations of sentence structure (adj clauses, center-
embedded clauses, and passive are especially lacking, and
genuinely impaired people are usually unable to learn these
structures); (3)poor control of most or all closed class
items (pronouns, preps, conj, determiners, morphological
markers -tense/aspect, plural, etc--, modals/auxiliaries)
(4) coherence (sometimes the structure is fine, but the
sentence does not make sense; lexical combinations don't go
together, etc).

I hope this helps.  In the article I just submitted I
compared examples from the ESL teachers with examples of
deficit.  I didn't do that in my posting, in part because I
wasn't sure whether anyone would be interested.  The very
few responses I've gotten have made me aware that language
deficit is not a familiar area.

The vast majority of native-speaker ESL teachers are
perfectly capable of learning how to use their own language,
and they cannot possibly help ESL students if they are
unable to explain how to put sentences together, when to use
a particular VP construction, etc. If you study a language
you have every right to expect your teacher to be able to
explain the language to you.

yvonne