ATEG Archives

March 2006

From:
Jean Waldman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:37:24 -0500

Herb,

Thanks so much for the article from English Today.  I have been reading it.

On Google, I was able to locate the SAMPA computer readable phonetic alphabet and the ASCII Phonetic Alphabet, but neither of these is as sophisticated as the system you are using.   It does seem apparent that you are using a particular program to create those characters.

You did give enough examples, however, to enable me to figure out the symbols you use so fluently.

Your article argues that "phonetic rigor . . . when describing the sounds and sound patterns of English." is necessary, and this need was demonstrated by recent articles in English Today.  You compare British RP sounds and American AmE sounds.

The description of retroflexion enabled me to recognize a sound that I was not previously aware I possessed, because, as you point out, it is spelled <sh> and the palatalized sound is spelled the same way.

You talked about the retroflexed sound being lower because of the larger oral cavity, but considering the pressure of the air flow through a narrower passage at the front of the mouth, my production efforts sometimes result in sounds approaching a whistle.

Isn't phonetics fun?

Thanks,   Jean Waldman