ATEG Archives

February 2010

From:
"Terry,Tina" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:04:48 -0700
Oops.. curmudgeonette... sorry, y'all!

Tina Terry - ELL Teacher

Payson High School & Rim Country Middle School

Room AUD-1 at PHS

Phone: PHS: 928-474-2233, ext. #2548

Cell phone: 928-595-0528

"To appreciate nonsense requires a serious interest in life." - Humorist
& Illustrator Gelett Burgess (1866-1951)

"For myself - I am an optimist; it does not seem to be much use being
anything else." (Sir Winston S. Churchill, speech at the Lord Mayor's
banquest, London, Nov. 9, 1954.)

THIS ELECTRONIC MESSAGE, INCLUDING ANY ACCOMPANYING DOCUMENTS, IS
CONFIDENTIAL, intended for the sole use of the addressee(s), and may
contain information that is privileged and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. If you are neither the intended recipient nor
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, please
note that any dissemination, distribution, copying or the taking of any
action in reliance upon the message is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender
immediately. Thank you.

________________________________

	From: STAHLKE, HERBERT F <[log in to unmask]>
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Date: Friday, February 26, 2010, 3:05 PM

	Brad,

	Dick gives an excellent example of past perfect with a remote
past meaning, and Craig makes the point well that the meaning of remote
past and the interpretation of a past perfect form are subjective.  This
is true of most areas of language.  "A lot" can quantify a teaspoon of
salt if it's poured on one fried egg, but it can also apply to fifty
tons of salt in a highway department storage barn.  As I've said before
of your putative incorrect examples of "had," it all depends on context.

Your statement that people mistakenly use "had" before past tense verbs,
that they change past tense irregular verbs to past participles after
"had," are not empirically testable statements.  There is no way to know
or test the writer's intentions.  Your statement that those weak verbs
after what you claim are incorrect "had" are functionally past tense
depends of a meaning for "functionally" that is unlike the way any
grammarian or linguist uses the term.  It is a subjective judgment of
yours that apparently no one else is able to replicate consistently.

Herb