ATEG Archives

November 2006

From:
"Veit, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:46:34 -0500
Elizabeth,

I think that psychologists wouldn't describe people as either
"left-brained" or "right-brained," since almost everyone has two
functioning hemispheres. But your point is sound that some people (like
you and me) really take to drawing sentence diagrams, and some others
don't. I teach a course to English majors that is heavy on
tree-diagrams. Some are whizzes at it. Others not so much. Fortunately,
I've found that almost everyone without a learning disability can pick
up on them with practice, and they can be a great way for students to
visualize the structure of sentences.

You are absolutely right, however, in saying that all teachers must gear
their instruction to the actual students in front of them, must make
adjustments for the abilities of individuals, and must NOT expect all
students to be like us.

Dick Veit

Richard Veit
Department of English