ATEG Archives

October 2012

From:
John Dews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:11:15 -0400
My initial impression is that the writer simply may not have a strong grasp
on the meaning of "to constitute." He or she may have semantically mixed
the traditional meaning of "to constitute" with a more complex verb such as
"to pass off" + a PP beginning with "as." Perhaps the intended meaning was
something more akin to "Reading a lot illuminates what passes itself off as
good and bad writing..." It's just a theory, but my students often produce
these types of unintended semantic mash-ups. I'm sure there are a number of
other possible explanations though.

John