ATEG Archives

November 2009

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:06:28 -0500
Bruce,

I hear (and see) a very large number of instances of "had went," and
agree with the idea it's just a dialectal variant. Many of my
(Michigander) students are unaware that "had gone" is the standard form
until I tell them, and I suspect some of them still don't believe me.

Bill Spruiell