ATEG Archives

February 2010

From:
Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 14:37:13 -0500
Scott,

If *winningest *is not standard, I'm sure it soon will be. For fun I Googled
a few other *-ingest* words and found examples of all of them. For example,
*lovingest* has been used by some literary lights:

"  The acutest German, the *lovingest* disciple, could never tell what
Platonism was; indeed, admirable texts can be quoted on both sides of every
great question from him."   --  Ralph Waldo Emerson

"He told her she had been all her life the *lovingest*, truest, and most
obedient daughter Heaven ever sent to a poor old widowed man." -- Charles
Reade, The Cloister and the Hearth

 I even tried *fightingest* and found informal instances on blogs:

"I commanded the Flying Hellfish, the fightingest squad in the fightingest
company in the third-fightingest battalion in the army." --Tom Davenport

Ditto for *singingest*, *laughingest*, and *cryingest*. I remember reading
in the paper a few years ago that one small town painted characters on all
its fireplugs and proudly called itself "the plug-paintingest town in
America."

Dick Veit