ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
Gretchen Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:30:31 EDT

In a message dated 7/27/2006 3:17:13 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

different between the word classes of ATEG and Parts of Speech of  history
and the rest of the world.

Phil,

Chiming in from the trenches of middle school, I think you  underestimate
students.  I was forced to teach grammar from Elements of  Writing; if you don't
know it, think Warriners.  As I taught it, I  constantly told them that this
or that term was a bit outdated and was now  called whatever. I also told them
that they would wow their high school and  college teachers if they could
remember words like aspect or noun phrases.

They used to furiously scribble both terms down; both because I'd  talk about
it, using words that weren't in the book and because they wanted to  appear
learned to their future teachers. In fact, I always  start 7th grade grammar
off with lots of word sorts, so word classes works  well.  We had fun figuring
out pronoun cases by just such a  sort.

It beats circling endless pronouns and drawing an arrow  to their antecedents
. . . .

~Gretchen