ATEG Archives

November 2005

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 12:05:16 -0500
Bill,
   I like your practice of looking for corpus examples.  I tend to go
the other route, to search in my own grammar for possibilities that feel
OK.  I think it can be comparative:.  "These apples are red, but last
year's were redder.  Two years ago, we had the reddest apples of all."
 Or for an example with "seems" (somewhat parallel to your "looks"
sentence):  "The dress seemed bright red  in  the sunlight."
    My American Heritage dictionary gives -er and -est as comparatives
and "redness" as an adjective to noun conversion, though it also lists
"red" as a noun.  "My favorite color is red."  "Red is a color that
connotes passion."  (My examples.)
    I think Johanna is right on is saying that some of the combinations
have taken on the force of a single vocabulary unit. That may explain
why "bright red" can also act in adjective or noun slots (as can the
plain red) without being changed.
    All that said, I would currently say bright red is an adjective
phrase in the noun phrase the bright red dress. We don't say brightly
red because bright red is one of a group of combinations (like pale red
or deep red) that seem like a single unit.

Craig