ATEG Archives

April 2015

From:
Beth Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 2015 20:51:06 +0000
Interesting! You know, at first I was thinking along the same lines as you:

"The plaintiff uses ellipses to conveniently ignore the words "special, incidental, indirect, or." Taken together, those words show that all kinds of damage are excluded, not just 'consequential' damage."

But then I started wondering about the "other" in that second series: "other special, incidental, indirect, or consequential damages." Could the "other" imply that all of the items listed before and after can be considered members of the same class? e.g., "at no time will my child consent to eating any broccoli, cauliflower, or kale or other healthful, colorful, cruciferous or leafy vegetables of any kind."  Not an exact parallel, and semantically it is more obvious that vegetables are in the same class than "loss or damage to revenues, profits, goodwill," etc., but I think "other" makes this passage even murkier.

Your rewrite is much more clear than the original. The repeated language and the semicolon both make a big difference.

Beth

Dr. Beth Rapp Young
Associate Professor, English

University of Central Florida