ATEG Archives

March 2009

From:
Patricia Lafayllve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2009 09:59:47 -0500
OK you are officially making me think before coffee ;)

But if we re-structured the sentence: <Poe claimed (that) inspiration, or
chance, played no part in the poem's composition.>, then Poe is definitely
the subject and the rest becomes.what?  A noun clause in the role of direct
object?

I don't think we can say <Poe claimed> is adverbial, can we?  Even in the
original sentence structure, <inspiration or chance> aren't the subjects.

Or am I lost in the weeds?  It does happen, I must admit.

-patty

  _____