ATEG Archives

March 2008

From:
Linda Di Desidero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:31:33 -0400
Hi, Roberto.
This form is one that I know from AAE or Ebonics in which the present
'be' verb is not used.  With a few changes, though, it could be
acceptable in formal registers:

She--about to turn 18--is a big supporter of Barack Obama.

Linda

Linda Di Desidero, Ph.D.

Associate Professor

Assistant Academic Director of Writing

Communication, Arts, and Humanities

University of Maryland University College

3501 University Boulevard East

Adelphi, MD  20783-8083

(240) 582-2830

(240) 582-2993 (fax)