ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
"John E. Dews-Alexander" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:44:26 -0700
Thanks, Nancy!
     I've got the book on my "to read" shelf -- maybe I should bump it up on the priority list! I haven't had a chance to look at the videos, so I'll have to do that as well.
     Also, just to let everyone else know, I've gotten one response off-list about the work of Michael Montgomery. It has been a very fruitful lead to follow up on! Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
      Jed

"[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
        John,

  A nice non-academic book to start with would be _The Story of English_ by Robert McCrum, William Cran, and Robert MacNeil, Penguin: New York,1992 (ISBN: 0140154051). A series of videos accompanied their original version, but I don't know if they were revised. Although dated for some topics (e.g., slang), they would be helpful for your nonperishable topic.

  Nancy Burkhalter, Ph.D.