ATEG Archives

April 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 09:31:51 -0400
I agree with Wanda's interpretation.

This sort of clause is also what's known as an infinitival relative
clause, one of the more puzzling structures in English.  We have a
relative clause without a subject and one that unlike most relative
clauses does not contain a declarative sentence.  Instead, the verb is
in the infinitive.  It's actually a fairly frequent construction, often
with a zero relative marker, as in

A university is an odd place (in which) to work.

Functionally, I suspect, the reason for the infinitive instead of the
declarative clause is that while the propositional content of relative
clauses is normally presupposed to be true, in cases like these the
clause doesn't have truth value.  That is, the propositional content of
the clause cannot be said to be true or false.  Rather, as so often with
infinitive constructions, it's irrealis, or unfulfilled.

Herb