ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
"Veit, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:17:17 -0400
Paul,

The editors I work with on my books are anything but careless, and I've
been impressed by their knowledge of conventions and attention to
detail. I'd be surprised if the NY Times hires editors who are any less
skilled. I read the Sunday Times in print and the daily online version
and am not aware of their "having slipped a great deal." Do you mean
that they have changed their conventions, or that they no longer
consistently observe their conventions? I'd be interested in seeing any
examples you could site.

I know you are aware of the language-is-deteriorating phenomenon. For
those who don't, there are ample examples from every period of history
in every language of statements that usually run "A generation ago,
people spoke better/wrote better/had higher standards, but today
standards have slipped/people are now ignorant/lazy/the language has
deteriorated." The problem is that people said exactly the same thing a
generation ago/ a hundred years ago/ five hundred years ago-and every
period in between. The evident conclusion is that this is a
psychological phenomenon rather that a linguistic phenomenon.

I'm not saying you're wrong about deterioration in journalism. I would
like to see support for statements such as the one you made about the
Times.

Dick Veit

Richard Veit

Department of English, UNCW