ATEG Archives

February 2005

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 13:25:26 -0700
Richard,

Sorry about the label I put on it.  It's based on the traditional grammar of
years ago.  All kinds of modifiers were called adverbs then.  Now, I guess,
they
call them adverbials.  Actually I have fully accepted the idea of building
more
classes for all these various kinds of words.  In fact my grammar has them as
part of the determiner system.  The morphology and syntax suggest at least
eight
different kinds of quantifiers and I have indeed described two kinds of
numbers:
1) those like "eleven" that are like a non-count noun in that they fail to
take
an article, and 2) those like "hundred" that are like a count noun.  You see,
the labels like quantifier and determiner are for me larger constructions
(like
a noun within a noun phrase).  The larger constructions tend to be functional
names.  If I say "eleven is a large number," the quantifier aspect of the word
is fully semantic and its syntax is not typical.  If I say "eleven score
miles"
the quantifier function is evident.  But the (adverbial) noun that it modifies
(score) is in turn functioning as a quantifier.  The plural noun (miles) that
is
being quantified is functioning as a measure.  We are more comfortable in
saying
that this noun functions as an adverb, but its true function is as a measure
describe an extent answering how far.   So we come back to the question often
implicitly asked in ATEG postings, "How can I distinguish between form and
function?"  This is particularly accute with (traditional) adverbs, whose
functions (adverbial) are so variegated.

Bruce

Bruce,

You describe "eleven" in "eleven miles" as an "adverbial noun ...
modifying miles." When cardinal numbers modify nouns, aren't they
quantifiers and hence determiners? For example:
        many miles
        several miles
        few miles
        eleven miles
Or are you calling all quantifiers "adverbials"?

Dick Veit

Richard Veit
Department of English, UNCW
Wilmington, NC 28403-5947