ATEG Archives

January 2013

From:
Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2013 14:56:57 -0500
North Carolina gave me the option today either to "swear" on a Bible
invoking God or else to "affirm" without Bible and without invoking God. I
did not have the option to "swear" Bible-free and godlessly. I wonder why
swearing isn't an option for non-believers. Nothing inherently sacred in
the word, which is derived from Proto-IndoEuropean root *swer- "to speak,
say."

Dick