ATEG Archives

December 2011

From:
Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Dec 2011 22:16:49 -0500
TJ,

The following is from Wikipedia <
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colon_%28punctuation%29>:

Use of capitalization or lower-case after a colon varies. In British
English<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_English>,
the word following the colon is in lower case unless it is a proper noun or
an acronym, or if it is normally capitalized for some other reason.
However, in American English <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_English>,
many writers capitalize the word following a colon if it begins an
independent clause (i.e., a complete sentence). This follows the guidelines
of some modern American style guides, including those published by the
Associated
Press <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Press> and the Modern
Language Association<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Language_Association>.
The Chicago Manual of
Style<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chicago_Manual_of_Style>
, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colon_%28punctuation%29#cite_note-4>however,
requires capitalization only when the colon introduces a direct
quotation or two or more complete
sentences.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colon_%28punctuation%29#cite_note-5>