ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 2009 10:10:28 -0400
Herb,

It is a pleasure to see in action an accomplished linguist such as
Jespersen, who understands that the language exists as the product of those
who speak it, who observes carefully, and who reports on actual language
practices as exemplified by celebrated practitioners. Compare that with our
resident fanatic, who considers himself a language dictator and who reports
on the practices of our most eminent writers and linguists only so he can
pronounce them to be in violation of his peculiar dictates.

Dick