ATEG Archives

September 2008

From:
John Crow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:36:43 -0400
Hi Laura,

Thanks for responding!

First of all, the terms "lowly" and "English teacher" do not fit together at
all.  Anybody who takes on the task of teaching literacy skills to kids is
anything but lowly!  And you wouldn't believe how much I have learned from
English teachers at all levels.  I wish more K-12 teachers would ask
questions or respond to them on this list.

I am going to have to disagree with you, however, on the misplaced modifier
analysis.  If I meant that the tears were trying to be brave, then I
probably wouldn't put the comma there:

            *The little boy fought back the tears trying to appear brave.

Compare this:

            The little boy fought back the tears streaming down his face.

In addition to the comma, there is an element of common sense, of the
possible/impossible that comes into play when dealing with participle
phrases and their subjects.  I, for example, would have no problem with the
following:

             The thief was hiding behind a wall, waiting for his next
victim.

Obviously, the thief, not the wall, is doing the waiting.  Professional
authors use constructions like this all the time--and we process them
without thinking about it.  I understand why you would teach it that way,
however:  it's a good way to introduce students to the problems inherent in
dangling/misplaced modifiers.

And you are probably absolutely right about the angels on the head of a
pin.  But such is the curse of the curious about this enormously complex
thing we call language!
John

P.S.  As I was writing this, Karl Hagen responded with, of all things, an
example from literature.  I'm going to send this anyway, even though, as
usual, his response is more eloquent.