ATEG Archives

November 2007

From:
Ronald Sheen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2007 04:01:48 -0700
May I suggest, Michael, that whenever confronted by anyone claiming that
'best practice' proves something or other, it would be worthwhile asking
him/her to ask for the reference for the related publication detailing the
study.

I suspect that you will receive no substantive reply and this, because
frequently, teachers who buy into the latest 'fad' are repeating the latest
dogma, mantra-like, without having investigated and evaluated the related
research.

Further, when anyone uses the term 'drills', it is essential to have them
define what they mean by the term.   As I have already mentioned elsewhere,
if 'drills' is being used to characterise an activity involving no thinking,
there is empirical evidence to demonstrate that in terms of language
learning, it has no effect on cognition.  (I have forgotten the details but
the authors are Selinker and Lamendella).  Whenever I encounter the word
'drills', I tend to assume it means mindless repetition but I suppose that
this is not necessarily the case.

As to 'isolated', this is a red herring that was exploited in the 90s in
ESL.  What teacher today would attempt to teach any aspect of grammar
without putting it into practice in some way?

Ron Sheen