ATEG Archives

September 2011

From:
Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2011 19:00:06 -0400
Jane,

In looking further at your friend's sentence ("Every time he drove up the
winding driveway, Howard felt as if he was/were entering a baronial
fiefdom"), I think it may be intended more as a simile than a contrafactual.
Better might be: "Every time he drove up the winding driveway, Howard felt
like he was entering a baronial fiefdom." The friend could even drop
"like": "..he felt he was entering..." I also don't think "fiefdom" is the
word your friend wants. A fiefdom is a political entity. It refers to an
extent of land under the lord's control, not to a castle. I'd substitute
"manor."

Dick