ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 2009 22:00:58 -0400
John's provided an excellent answer.  So let me add one or two more technically linguistic details.  You don't need them to explain "have" to your students, though.  John's given you plenty for that.

Your question is in part one of orthography and in part one of grammaticalization.  As John pointed out, the orthographic word "have" has uses as an auxiliary and as a main verb, as well as some uses that fall into the broadly modal area.  They can be distinguished phonologically and syntactically.

"Have" as a main verb, with the meaning "possess" and quite a few related meanings, does not contract in American English, although in British English you can say "I've a new Rolls."  As a main verb, it takes negative and question forms with "do."  The final consonant, /v, z, d/, can devoice before a voiceless-initial word, as in

Have two more.
She has two new students today.
He had two new students yesterday.

We don't normally notice this devoicing, and we don't mark it orthographically.  The final consonant of the third person is lax, /z/, even though we spell it <s>.  We know it's lenis because lenes assimilate to the voicing state of adjacent segments and the corresponding fortes, like /s/, do not.

"Have" as an auxiliary usually reduces radically to /v/, /@/ (schwa), /z/, or /d/, depending on the form of the word involved and the construction it's used in.

She's been here.
He'd been here before.
We've been here.
They should 'a' been here too.

Such major phonological reduction is a common product of the grammaticalization process, a long-term process by which a word loses its lexical content and takes on grammatical function, like, in this case, perfect aspect marking.  The grammaticalization of "have" also results in different syntactic behavior.  It will invert in question formation while its lexical cognate won't.  It also takes the negative marker "not" after it, which can cliticize to /-nt/.  Lexical verbs, as noted above, don't do this.  Incidentally, the grammaticalization of "have" to an auxiliary function is not unusual.  German does it too, and in Romance languages Latin "habere" reduces to a clitic or a suffix marking future.

The "have" of "have to" has followed a different grammaticalization path.  It doesn't contract, so we can't say "I've to go" or "I might've to go."  Rather, it will generally lose the /h/ but the remainder of the word will be stressed and the infinitive marker "to" will cliticize to it.  In this case the same devoicing of /v/ occurs, but we mark it in non-standard spelling as "hafta."  The same thing happens with "has to" and "had to," but we don't reflect those devoicings even in non-standard spellings.  This third use of "have" is as a semi-modal, rather like "need," "dare," and "ought." Of those three, only "ought" has grammaticalized to a similar degree.

The entry for "have" in Oxford English Dictionary Online, 2nd Ed., is one of the OED's longer entries and lists about three dozen distinct meanings and uses.  It's worth a read if you have access. You'll be surprised at the huge variety of forms the verb has taken in its long history.

Herb

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/<mailto:ATEG@To%20join%20or%20leave%20this%20LISTSERV%20list,%20please%20visit%20the%20list's%20web%20interface%20at:%0d%0a%20%20%20%20%20http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html%0d%0aand%20select%20>