ATEG Archives

June 2009

From:
Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 2009 20:33:10 -0500

Martha -

A voice from my past - the resident babysitter in my freshman dorm room at Brown was writing his dissertation on Mr. Bulwer-Lytton.  Unfortunately, my guess is that neither he, nor I'm assuming Mr. B-L, earned quite the royalties that Mr. Sandford has garnered.  However, Snoopy hasn't done too badly.

Geoff Layton

Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 20:17:43 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: A dark and stormy night
To: [log in to unmask]

Dear Colleagues,

I just opened John Sandford's book "Mind Prey" (1995) to Chapter One.  Here's the opening paragraph for you to consider:

"The storm blew up late in the afternoon, tight gray clouds hustling over the lake like dirty, balled-up sweat socks spilling from a basket. A chilly wind knocked leaves from the elms, oaks, and maples at the water's edge. The white phlox and black-eyed Susans bowed their heads before it."

A moment to share.

Martha