ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
Amanda Godley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 09:49:51 -0400
In our English Ed. program, we currently have an English Ed. doctoral
student teaching our ³Teaching Grammar and Language² methods course. He is
ABD, has K-12 teaching experience, ELL teaching experience, coursework in
linguistics, and a TESOL masterıs degree. Next year I will teach the course;
my doctorate is from a Language, Literacy and Culture program (in a School
of Ed.) and I also have K-12, college composition, and ELL teaching
experience. Weıve never had anyone from linguistics teach the course, but we
try to find instructors who straddle linguistics and education.

Our program requires one prerequisite in the area of language ­ either
History of the English Language or Uses of Literacy. Both are typically
taught by adjunct instructors in the English Department. We are hoping to
change our language-related prereqs to add one from linguistics on the
structure of the English language. Hope that helps...
Amanda

--
Amanda Godley, Ph.D.
Associate Professor