ATEG Archives

March 2005

From:
"Veit, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:21:45 -0500
Appositives function like relative clauses in that they modify noun
phrases and can be either restrictive or nonrestrictive.

*       (Restrictive relative clause) The thief that stole my computer
should rot in hell.
*       (Restrictive appositive) My sister Edna married a kleptomaniac.

*       (Nonrestrictive relative clause)  Zebras, which are striped
quadrupeds, are native to Africa.
*       (Nonrestrictive appositive) My sister, a gifted artist, won a
MacArthur fellowship.

Entirely different from relative clauses are complement clauses, which
have three varieties:

*       ("Sentential" complements, which function as noun phrases)
        He knows that chocolate is addictive.
        That Milton raised a ruckus surprised nobody.
*       ("Adjectival" complements, which modify adjectives)
        Martha is happy that she is no longer incarcerated.
*       ("Nominal" complements, which modify nouns)
        The rumor that Elvis is alive spread wildly.

The clause in the cited example, "The fact that they didn't like
chocolate surprised her," is a nominal complement.

To illustrate the difference between relative and complement clauses,
consider the following ambiguous sentence. With different
interpretations, it can be read either as a relative or a nominal
complement clause:

*       We believed the theory that Camilla proposed to Charles.

In the relative interpretation, Camilla proposed a certain unspecified
theory to Charles, and we believe that theory.

In the complement interpretation, we believe the theory that it was
Camilla who proposed marriage to Charles and non vice-versa.

Dick Veit

Richard Veit

Department of English, UNCW

Wilmington, NC 28403-5947