ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 08:42:36 -0700
I suppose from what you have said in the past that you are maintaining with this message that the past perfect is not correctly used by some journalist.  Maybe we need to consider the possibility that the past perfect is setting up a context for the rest of the story.  Perhaps the phrase was simply taken out of the context of the story to make the kind of summary statement that is customary for headlines.  The secret-keeping occurred before some particular past event.  I think that past event was the divulging of Prince Harry's deployment, which the writter supposes is on everyone's mind.  This might be set up in the story, but even if it isn't, the question's currency might well explain why the editor composing the headline worded it like he did.

>>> Brad Johnston <[log in to unmask]> 02/28/08 8:36 PM >>>

PRINCE HARRY'S DEPLOYMENT HAD BEEN

KEPT SECRET FOR SECURITY REASONS

CNN Headline, 10:00 pm, Thursday, 28 February 2008.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"