ATEG Archives

October 2007

From:
Christine Reintjes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2007 00:42:39 +0000

Thanks Ron,

I taught ESL from 2000-2005 and I only had one francophone for a very short time. My French connection is that I spent my junior year of college in Lyon through the University of North Carolina. Now I teach all subjects to at risk youth at a wilderness camp.

We have so many phrasal verbs in English. It just strikes me as odd that they are not found in other languages. Can you give me a sentence with the Canadian French use of venir with back? --Christine Reintjes [log in to unmask]

Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:41:16 -0700From: [log in to unmask]: Re: Reasons for teaching PVs in the ESL context.To: [log in to unmask]

Hi Christine,

I am not aware of any.   No, French does not have any.  One does, however, find some forms of French in Canada, particularly New Brunswick, which combine a French verb such as 'venir' with 'back'.

Do you teach ESL to francophones?   If so where?   And if so, how do you handle faux amis?

Bye, Ron.
.