ATEG Archives

December 2011

From:
Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2011 15:38:18 -0600

I have them in my library, but I'm not sure how useful they would be. They still have a "drill and kill" aspect about them. I'd much prefer that my students use what I call "writing in the context of grammar" (NOT grammar in the context of writing, which formal grammar instruction by another name). Writing in the context of grammar allows students to use grammatical constructions they already know (and they know all of them!) to create meaning without having to memorize any grammar terms or get involved in vague and often confusing definitions.

Geoff Layton
 Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 15:25:16 -0600
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Joseph Blumenthal's books
To: [log in to unmask]

I remember those texts from the 1970's.  As with anything, the students who worked through the items learned; those who didn't, didn't.  I do not know how useful the texts would be for application of the concepts to the students' own writing.  I've not
 seen the texts in many years and some of my expectations have changed since that time.

Jack