ATEG Archives

March 2008

From:
Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2008 17:16:33 -0400
Just one comment, Linda.

I tell students (and teachers) that if a passive sentence seems weak
or out of place in a particular context, the problem is not that it's
in the passive voice: The problem is nearly always that the sentence
has an ineffective topic and/or focus. The passive allows us put a
particular noun phrase or nominal in subject--i.e., topic--position.

The "pass" marginal comment ought never to be used--even for an
awkward or ineffective passive: The comment ought to focus on the
real problem.

Martha