ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 13:21:38 -0400
Dick,

I'm just back from three weeks out of touch.  Looking over the "pars
orationis" discussion, your posting seems like a good place to start.

With characteristic clarity, you point to the problems we face in
choosing terminology.  One of these problems is the tension between
scientific adequacy and pedagogical practicability.  Linguistically,
categories are fuzzy.  They have prototypical members, like count nouns
as examples of nouniness, and then there are words that match prototype
to varying degrees.  It doesn't take a lot of work with modal
auxiliaries to demonstrate this.  But prototype and fuzzy category
aren't pedagogically useful notions until you reach a pretty high
educational level.  A second problem is the matter of criteria we use to
determine that a set of words does or does not comprise a category.
Most modern grammars use morphological, syntactic, and notional traits
to establish categories.  Number words, for example, are characterized
by taking suffixes like -th and -some, by having cardinal and ordinal
forms, by occurring after the definite article, if there is one, and
before adjectives, and are used to indicate specific quantity.  Of
course, quantifiers like "many" and "both" share some but not all of
these traits.  A third problem is whether we even need to specify the
number of parts of speech rather than just identify them and teach them
as students are ready to learn them.

Where the problem of parts of speech intersects with scope and sequence
is in considering what categories and what heuristics to introduce at
what level.  And at some point, fairly late I assume, it is probably
necessary to teach students that some words, like "to" and "there" can,
in some of their uses, be unique, not members of any category.
Actually, Greenbaum (1996) provides a list of such words.

I suspect that Ed Vavra, with the research he's done on developmental
grammar and pedagogy, knows of relevant studies.

Herb