ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Carolyn Hartnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2006 20:00:08 EDT
Dear John,
I'm sorry about being so slow to repond to your interest, but my computer
lost some intended outgoing mail.  My answers must be mainly negative.
Meaning First illustrates my idealized way of teaching functional grammar.
The method evolved, until I retired to focus on linguistic research.
My CCCC presentation would not be of much interest to you because it relates
to local tests and textbooks.  A useful resource was Publishing in Rhetorica
and Composition, a 1997 book by Gary Olson and Todd Taylor, State University of
New York Press.
I am not an expat Aussie, but I do have a distant cousin in Adelaide.  I have
traveled in Australia at least four times and in Japan at least two, the last
time in 2004.  (ISFLA had a policy of meeting each year in a different
continent on a four or five-year cycle.)
I hope Meaning First is helpful.
Best wishes,
Carolyn Hartnett