ATEG Archives

December 2014

From:
"Turner, Tildon L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2014 23:38:51 +0000
Agreed.  However, therein lies the vast difference between linguistic and extralinguistic meaning.  Pragmatics  can always raise its head and alter meaning or create ambiguity.  This is why I stated that there was no "structural" ambiguity to the sentence.  For instance, I can say, "Tom didn't marry Sally because she is a waitress."  In this case there is structural and pragmatic ambiguity.  Structurally, "not" can have narrow or wide scope, which could mean Tom didn't marry Sally, or he married her for a different reason.  Pragmatically, there could be negative connotations with "waitress" that could persuade some to interpret only the narrow scope interpretation, which would be that Tom didn't marry Sally.
Ambiguity is a fascinating area of study.

Til Turner
Languages and Literature
Northern Virginia Community College