ATEG Archives

June 2010

From:
Gregg Heacock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2010 22:09:35 -0700
Brad,
	Strangely, that is not the meaning I take from this configuration.
It seems that English uses its limited palate of verb forms to
accomplish a variety of tasks.  In this instance, the fact that the
cause of death was heart failure is in the foreground.  "That he had
had cancer" tells us it was not the cause of death.  I imagine that
had he died of some other cause not mentioned or alluded to and we
had been told "that he had cancer," we should conclude that he had
passed with that being the primary cause of this death.
	The mind fills the spaces between the words with meaning.  The words
merely prompt us, and the mystery you present to us--why should both
"had" and "had" be brought together within that context?--is resolved
by us, not the text.  The proper use of words is always optional.
Ambiguity invites our participation.  That is what communication is
all about.  It makes us glad to be alive.
		Enjoy,
		Gregg