ATEG Archives

August 2011

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2011 16:20:38 -0400
It would be worth looking up “herb” in the Dictionary of American Regional English.  Your library may have it.  Even our small town library does, which impressed me.  DARE would give the distribution of pronunciations.

Herb

From: STAHLKE, HERBERT F <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Date: Monday, August 29, 2011, 11:45 PM

Here’s a short treatment of initial <h> in English.  I’m taking a historical approach to the problem in part out of inclination—I do historical linguistics, but I also think understanding why orthographic initial <h> behaves a little oddly in English requires understanding its history.  In this discussion, I’m using the linguistic conventions of // to identify sounds and <> to identify letters.

The difference between “an historic event,” without the /h/, and “a history of English,” with the /h/, shows how the /h/-less pronunciation of the loanword would lead to the use of the indefinite “an” and the definite /Di/, which sounds like “thee.”  What has happened with some words, like “history,” is that they have sounded the initial <h> through spelling pronunciation, and this change then analogizes to the adjective form so that it too is consonant-initial and takes the indefinite “a.”

/h/-insertion, in those dialects of BrE English that have it, and this covers most of England, is a form of hypercorrection.  The speaker knows that in BBC English, for example, some <h> are pronounced and some are not, but the speaker doesn’t know which are which, and so he or she will tend to omit /h/ unless the word is emphasized, in which case an /h/ gets inserted whether it’s there in BBC English or not.  Like other examples of hypercorrection, this is not a rule-governed, regular phonological pattern.  It varies with speakers and occasions.

Herb