ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 07:42:08 -0700
I wonder how much has be done on tone in English.  I know that the Chinese languages have anywhere from 4 to 9 tones that are important phonemically to distinguish vocabulary items, and some of these are modulating.  (I don't believe the Chinese have syntax like we do, but depend much more on morphological combinations.)  Your experiments seem to imply we might be limited to 4 straight tones as well.  The intonation of clauses for statements, questions, and certain exclamations might increase this number to 9.  Are any of you aware of studies in this area?

Bruce

>>> Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]> 02/27/08 3:16 AM >>>

I invented an example that readily demonstrates the difference between

right- and left-branching as regards the relative demands they place on the

short-term memory.

Take the nursery rhyme 'This is the house that Jack built'.  The first few

lines run thus:

     This is the house that Jack built.

     This is the malt that lay in the house that Jack built.

     This is the rat that ate the malt that lay in the house that Jack

built.

     This is the cat that ate the rat that ate the malt that lay in the

house that Jack built.

     This is the dog that worried the cat that ate the rat that ate the malt

that lay in the house that Jack built . . .[etc.]

It is plain that, from the second sentence onwards, the sentences are all

right-branching and cause no trouble in understanding, even for the little

children the nursery rhyme is for.  However, as in Herb's example, to

left-branch causes a real problem, thus:

         The malt the rat ate lay in the house that Jack built.

No problem so far -- we can make sense of that. Next:

       The malt the rat the cat ate ate lay in the house that Jack built.

If you lower the pitch for each adjective clause as it comes along, and then

raise it again (matching pitch for the appropriate subject and verb), one

can still say this and make sense of it.  Now try this:

     The malt the rat the cat the dog worried ate ate lay in the house that

Jack built.

I have found that, if again you do the step-lowering and step-lifting of

pitch and in addition say 'the cat the dog worried' very fast all in one

breath, and pause after the last 'ate', you can just about hold on to the

meaning.

The next stage I find utterly impossible to understand:

     The malt the rat the cat the dog the cow tossed worried ate ate lay in

the house that Jack built.

So there is a memory limit here because there are now too many for the brain

to match the subject and objects in the down-up order demanded.  You can

stand back from the sentence easily enough and see which goes with which,

but one can't say the sentence through and know what it means!

Edmond

Dr. Edmond Wright

3 Boathouse Court

Trafalgar Road