ATEG Archives

June 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:18:32 -0400
   A quick look at a few dictionaries shows that "as well as" can be both
preposition and conjunction. A quick google search shows a huge number
of examples of "as well as" as conjunction, but not in the subject
slot, which may be a reaction to the usage difficulties around it. I
won't have access to the OED until tomorrow.
   Typically, Merriam-Webster college dictionary lists "brave as well as
loyal" as an example of "as well as" as conjunction.
   Why we would have to treat a compound so created as singular in subject
slot is beyond me.

Craig

Hi again everyone,