ATEG Archives

January 2006

From:
Nancy Tuten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 08:25:44 -0500
Thanks, Kathryn, for taking time to help me think through this issue. This
is the kind of question that astute students often pose, too, so I think it
is worth considering. You (and Warriner) have addressed the point I find
most interesting in terms of teaching: whether other subordinating
conjunctions besides "than" and "as" can have an elided/elliptical verb.

But I'm still not convinced that "before" cannot be a preposition in such a
construction. My colleague sent a follow-up e-mail adding these thoughts to
our discussion of the sentence "The Smiths received their invitation before
(us) (we [did])":

Here's something else that I've found:  President Clinton and Governor Joe
Manchin III both used the phrase "those who came before us" in their
inaugural addresses, and Maya Angelou used the title "Let's Thank Those Who
Came before Us."  Doesn't the preposition "before" have the same sense in
those phrases as in the sentence we're analyzing?

Those examples call into question our assertion that the prepositional
phrase "before us" is illogical in reference to time. The prescriptivist in
me wants to say that even presidents and famous authors can make mistakes,
but the descriptivist in me must admit that both constructions seem
defensible.

I'm surprised we haven't heard from anyone else on the issue.

Best,

Nancy

Nancy L. Tuten, PhD

Professor of English

Director of the Writing-across-the-Curriculum Program

Columbia College

Columbia, South Carolina

803-786-3706

  _____