ATEG Archives

August 2011

From:
M C Johnstone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2011 13:38:19 +0300
Hi Carol,

You say that "students have to be able to master the sentence and
paragraph and even a short essay, ... before they can venture
into the complexities of argument and debate." A lot of people
share your view and it fits nicely into an academic taxonomy of
lower and higher order skills. I teach EFL composition at
post-secondary level in Saudi Arabia. I draw heavily on the AP
English Language and Composition curriculum developed by ETS.
That curriculum places considerable emphasis on critical
thinking, informal logic, and rhetoric/argumentation. While AP
courses are typically offered in high schools, they are not for
"basic writers," although, we may have some problem here
discovering what, exactly, a "basic writer" is.

I agree that students need to master the basic forms of sentence
and paragraph before they can hope to claim competency in
composition. Capote is supposed to have said of Kerouac that not
all typing is writing, but with many of our students, just
getting them to type 500 words is sometimes a small victory and I
could always say, "It makes no sense at all, you write just like
Jack!" and take it from there.

I do not agree that grammar and syntax are lower order skills
that must be mastered before moving on to higher order rhetoric
and composition. These are just different dimensions of
communication. You did not say "higher" and "lower" order but
this is what I understood from your message, and I have heard
this a lot from colleagues.

For grammar and syntax I use Ed Vavra's KISS method. I can't say
whether it works or not, and students find it very tedious, but I
have been impressed by the ability of Arab students to correctly
parse a wide variety of English literary texts. I have also seen
their writing improve as they do this but I cannot demonstrate
that this improvement is a consequence of the parsing exercises.
It has helped me a lot in teaching students to write "in
sentences" since it enables me to define what a sentence is in
terms that are comprehensible and useful to students. This
is especially critical for my students since Arabic has an even
less secure notion of the sentence than English does.

I think that we can teach composition and thinking skills
together. Indeed, I think we really should be doing this.
According to a study conducted by ETS in 2000 to determine the
skills necessary for success in higher education, faculty,
regardless of department, are primarily concerned with skills
such as listening, comprehending, discerning main ideas in
reading, organizing, and making inferences. [1]  These are all
skills that reasonably fall to English departments. I know you
are not arguing against teaching these, but merely saying that
"basic writing" skills should be pre-requesite to them.

I think that some of this has to do with the view that writing is
a describable process: If only students follow our process, they
will produce minimally acceptable work. I believed this for a
long time, and taught it, even though I am not a process writer.
It started to make more sense to me after I read Joan Didion's
"Why I Write." For Didion, writing is thinking and it cannot be
planned or orchestrated, it just happens. I think this is
probably true for a lot of people: it is for me. For us, writing
emerges and is then shaped. If you will not allow me to think
before learning to write, then I will never learn to write.

Of course, this can lead to more typing than writing - the longer
you spend on it, the shorter it becomes. It is like cutting a
diamond: the smaller it becomes, the more beautiful it is, up to
a point. After that, it just gets smaller.

As for banal essay topics, EB White did a masterful job with
"What I did on my summer vacation."  I have used his "Once More
to the Lake" with EFL students as well. I would not use it, or
anything else, as a "template" though. Reading is the other half
of writing.

Mark

[1] Summary, Presentation at TESOL 2008, New York, New York, Mark
Algren, Mary MacGuinness (University of Kansas); Susan Matson,
ELS Language Centers. See
[1]http://www.saudistudentteam.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/K
U-ELS-Summaryof_Project.87192434.pdf

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 16:27 -0700, "Carol Morrison"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

     Mark: I agree that thinking critically is important and people
     should be able to express their views. There are plenty of forums
     for students to do that in Critical Reading and Writing classes,
     Critical Theory, Literary Analysis, and so forth. I just think
     that for the Basic Writer this is a lot to take on and they need
     the basics first, the forms and format of writing that Geoff
     talked about with Stanley Fish, who by the way, I am most anxious
     to read. Students have to be able to master the sentence and
     paragraph and even a short essay, I believe, before they can
     venture into the complexities of argument and debate. Often times
     in my writing classes, I have found students who can express
     themselves very well orally, but this doesn’t translate into
     their writing. Of course it is interesting to debate hot topics,
     but the goal for me in my basic writing classes is to enable
     students to write clear and concise prose that are grammatically
     sound for the most part. Ahem…”Good Housekeeping Seal of
     Approval”? Those topics aren’t that bad. I remember back when we
     had to give a Diagnostic essay the first day for COMP 101 and
     lots of students were eager to write about their summer
     vacations. Many interesting things can come up with topics which
     at face value may seem trivial.Carol
       From: STAHLKE, HERBERT F <[log in to unmask]>
       To: [log in to unmask]
       Date: Monday, August 8, 2011, 4:37 PM

     Thanks to all of you for one of the most interesting and
     thoughtfully argued threads we’ve had in a while.

       I have a question that may be tangential to this topic, or at
       least a narrower focus.  I should say first that while I have
       taught both ESL writing and Freshman writing, I am not a
       writing teacher, and threads like this always leave me with a
       lot of respect for those who perform these tasks and perform
       them well.

       When I’ve taught writing, I’ve often been encouraged to avoid
       topics like abortion and creationism vs. evolution because
       it’s so difficult for student writers to separate themselves
       from the issues and from the social consequences of taking a
       position.  As an example of this, I had dinner with my oldest
       son last night, and we got to talking about a good friend of
       his at work.  She is well educated, well read, and has
       thoughtful views on a lot of topics.  Evolution came up
       recently in one of their conversations, and her response was,
       “Oh, I don’t believe in evolution.  The evidence for it is not
       very strong.”  My son was surprised at her reaction.  She
       comes from a Southern Baptist background but is no longer
       connected to that or any other denomination, so her reasons
       for rejecting evolution, and she confirms this, are not
       religious.  I suggested to him that perhaps the reason for her
       position was a matter of social identity.  Her family and the
       community she grew up in are devout and accept the biblical
       creation story literally.  Rejecting evolution is a matter of
       family identity.  She can become a backslid Baptist, and
       that’s lamentable, but for her to accept evolution would be to
       reject her family.

       In a case like this, a position on evolution or creation or
       abortion is not an intellectual stance; it’s a matter of
       cultural and social identity, and that makes it very hard to
       think critically about it.  I’ve found in UG classes where we
       deal with dialectology the notion “social class” sometimes
       gets rejected out of hand as Marxist, and no amount of
       discussion will shake that position.  This is also one of
       those defining stances.

       Is a writing class the place to get students to question such
       elements of their identity and look at themselves more
       critically?  How does one go about this?

       Herb