ATEG Archives

July 2014

From:
"Hancock, Craig G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2014 14:13:45 +0000
Bob,

    Phonetic reduction is a dynamic process directly related to frequency. Since “going to” can now combine in auxiliary like ways with main verbs, its use has dramatically expanded. Frequency of use correlates well with phonetic reduction. It’s an observation about how language shifts in form as it takes on new (expanded) function. Want to has expanded range of use in the same way. The same patterns are at work in its reduction.The consensus seems to be that it has modal like qualities.

    Biologists make observations about form all the time without thinking of life itself as a formal system. What we need, I think, is the equivalent of an anatomy and physiology. In the world of biology, the two are dynamically connected. No one would argue (scientifically) that biological forms are independent of function and no one would propose that forms are unimportant.

    In the biological world, it’s hard to draw strict clear lines between categories in part because adaptation is constant. Bybee’s point—and she’s not the only one making it—is that language is more like biology than it is like physics and chemistry. In some ways, this is a renewed interest in empirical observation. This is certainly not a retreat from form.

Craig