ATEG Archives

October 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:05:55 -0400
John,
     This is powerful material. As grammarians and English teachers, we
could spend much more time on the power of crafted speech, which is
pretty much all a dramatist has to work with. It's certainly highly
elliptical.
     To me, the "it"'s that show up early turn out (retroactively) to be
pronouns, standing in for "how to live in the desert." Then in Austin's
second speech, we get existential "there"'s. I'm not quite sure about
"it" in "it was different." In context, I would be tempted to say it's a
pronoun reference to "life" or "the emotional feel of life," but
existential I think would be the usual analysis. The next "it" in "it's
the fifties" would seem to me to stand in for "the present time" or "the
times when I come down here." "I keep coming down here thinking that I
am still living in the fifties."
     I was a little confused by "there never was [something here for
me]" followed by "When we were kids it was different," though a speaker
in a play can certainly change his/her mind in mid-speech. It seems like
a contradiction.
     Nice passage.

Craig