ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 2009 01:19:17 -0400
Bruce and Craig:

The analogy with "mightily" was one I thought was useful, but it may have skewed my interpretation manner-wards. One kind of "extent" would involve words like "partially" or "completely," while "mightily" strikes me as having a manner-y element to it. I can try to weasel out of the problem by arguing "his best" is a *gradable* manner, but I have no idea how I'd pin that down via co-occurrence patterns (is it an extentful manner, or a mannerish extent?). There are probably some dissertations on this somewhere, and the fact that I have a whajillion papers to grade is rendering the entire question fascinating....

Bill Spruiell