ATEG Archives

December 2000

From:
Susan Witt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:22:21 -0600
Gretchen's question:

>>>For example, my focus this month in writing workshop has been commas.  I
keep
>finding, however, that my sixth graders can't recognize some of the
>structures that require commas in their own writing.  The difference
between
>two independent clauses (however you define them!) joined by a conjunction
>and a sentence with a compound verb seems to be as big a mystery as it was
>before we started. <<<

For complex compounds, I've found that an extremely simplified form of
diagramming works.  While I generally am not fond of diagramming, I've found
that representing compounds visually can make a big difference.

Mark ---

John ---           went to the store

(and) I ---

           ------ brushed her teeth,

Mary   ----        put on her pajamas

            ------- (and) went to bed.

I can't do a very good job of portraying this here, but showing how three
subjects can be connected to one predicate, or how three predicates can be
connected to one subject, using lines, and also pointing out how three
separate sentences could be made from the one, can help kids to understand
the relationships work.  As they begin to work with more complicated
compounds, the same kinds of visually shown relationships can help them
understand what they are doing.  This visual technique can also help them
understand why "me" doesn't work in the top sentence (or why "I" is
incorrect as a compound object), and can also help them to do a better job
of coordinating verb forms in compound subjects.

I usually connect this activity with sentence imitation -- before they
imitate, I show them how the compound parts work together, and how they can
be broken down.  It could also be combined with sentence combination, as
well as decombination (provide a compound sentence, and instruct them to
break it down into the simple sentences.)  Working these activities around
the same sentence types should help them work out these relationships.

>context of their writing?

While I'm all for working within the context of their writing, not
everything has to be done this way.  I'm actually more likely to use
sentences from their reading, but I adapt the sentences to fit what I'm
trying to show.  Most likely, to simplify it in such a way that it looks
close, but leaves out parts if the sentence is too complex, connects several
sentences if I am trying to work with compounds, or whatever it takes to
focus attention on the part I am focusing on.  (But then, I'm really into
the whole idea of using sentence sense as an aid to reading comprehension,
as much as to improve writing.)

Speaking of Beowulf, have you ever read Michael Creighton's book (I think it
was called _Eaters of the Dead_, or something like that?)  It puts a really
interesting twist on the Beowulf story -- and if I ever teach Beowulf, I
think I will connect these two.

Susan