ATEG Archives

August 2011

From:
Scott Catledge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:24:27 -0400
Although my doctoral dissertation in contrastive linguistics was on
discrepant subcategorization of nouns in Spanish and English,
not being a Chomskyite, my druthers would go with the grammarians--not my
fellow linguists.  My only linguistics group is SIAD
(Société Internationale de Diachronie du Français).  I have, however, heard
enough on the past perfect and delete any discussions
pertaining thereto.
Scott

Date:    Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:58:13 +0300
From:    M C Johnstone <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: How to deal with a crackpot

Larry,

I agree with you about dual sympathies and think that the ATEG list is
enriched by a variety of opinion. I understand what Brad is saying below
in All Gaul although I'm not sure what a group of prescriptivist
grammarians would have do to, other than prescribing, and I've heard
much more than anyone ever should hear about the past perfect.

If I had my druthers, I'd go with the linguists and their "arcane
tangents," but it needn't come to that. Brad can easily start a
prescriptive grammar list and invite participants. I have seen this done
on other lists in response to similar complaints.

Mark

--

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 20 Jul 2011 08:31:46 -0700
From:    "Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>

--0-905509043-1311175906=:63679

I'm not sure why nobody has said this on this thread yet, but not all =0Agr=
ammarians are prescriptivists. =0A=0A=0APaul D.=0A=A0"If this were play'd u=
pon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable =0Afiction" (_Twelfth =
Night_ 3.4.127-128). =0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0AF=
rom: M C Johnstone <[log in to unmask]>=0ATo: [log in to unmask]
t: Wed, July 20, 2011 8:58:13 AM=0ASubject: Re: How to deal with a crackpot=
=0A=0ALarry,=0A=0AI agree with you about dual sympathies and think that the=
 ATEG list is=0Aenriched by a variety of opinion. I understand what Brad is=
 saying below=0Ain All Gaul although I'm not sure what a group of prescript=
ivist=0Agrammarians would have do to, other than prescribing, and I've hear=
d=0Amuch more than anyone ever should hear about the past perfect.=0A=0AIf =
I had my druthers, I'd go with the linguists and their "arcane=0Atangents,"=
 but it needn't come to that. Brad can easily start a=0Aprescriptive gramma=
r list and invite participants. I have seen this done=0Aon other lists in r=
esponse to similar complaints.=0A=0AMark=0A=0AOn Mon, 18 Jul 2011 13:08 -05=
00, "Larry Beason" <[log in to unmask]>=0Awrote:=0A> I'd suggest we not s=
plit the list, esp since I think a number of us=0A> identify with both gram=
marians and linguists.=A0 Setting aside a portion of=0A> the list is in eff=
ect creating a new list within a list, and there are=0A> practical problems=
.=A0 For instance, as the overall ATEG list grows and=0A> changes, will new=
comers know there are essentially two lists?=A0 How often=0A> does the list=
 manager have to update and revise these sub-lists?=A0 I think=0A> it's a b=
it much to ask list managers to keep up with such matters.=A0 I=0A> might b=
e missing something, but it seems to me it would be overreacting=0A> to som=
e minor disputes.=0A> =0A> If someone wants to create a non-ATEG list devot=
ed to grammar and=0A> linguistics--fine.=A0 I think a number of us would wa=
nt to join that one=0A> also.=A0 But I for one see no reason to encourage c=
reating various=0A> sub-groups that have far more in common than they have =
differences.=A0 =0A> =0A> I've spend most of my career in the shadow of a s=
plit between literature=0A> and composition/rhetoric faculty (if not a spli=
t between composition and=0A> rhetoric, for heaven's sake), and it seems to=
 me the splitting of this=0A> list into grammarians vs linguists is not pro=
ductive to either good=0A> discussions of language or to our scholarly and =
teaching community.=A0 I've=0A> grown tired of such false dichotomies, and =
I suspect I'm not alone.=0A> =0A> Larry=0A> =0A> __________________________=
__=0A> Larry Beason, Associate Professor=0A> Director of Composition=0A> Un=
iversity of South Alabama=0A> Mobile, AL 36688-0002=0A> Office: 251-460-786=
1=0A> FAX: 251-461-1517=0A> =0A> =0A> >>> "Dixon, Jack" <Jack.Dixon@LONESTA=
R.EDU> 7/18/2011 12:42 PM >>>=0A> Excellent suggestion.=A0 =A0 Grammarians,=
 communicate directly with the list=0A> manager.=0A> =0A> From: Assembly fo=
r the Teaching of English Grammar=0A> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On =
Behalf Of Craig Hancock=0A> Sent: Monday, July 18, 2011 11:47 AM=0A> To: AT=
[log in to unmask] =0A> Subject: Re: How to deal with a crackpot=0A> =
=0A>=A0 =A0 If I am not mistaken, it is possible to direct messages directl=
y to=0A>=A0 =A0 the keeper of the list. If there are grammarians among us w=
ho would=0A>=A0 =A0 like to see the list (or a portion of the list) set asi=
de for=0A>=A0 =A0 grammarians only (as Brad would define it), without comme=
ntary from=0A>=A0 =A0 linguists, then perhaps they should communicate that =
directly to the=0A>=A0 =A0 list manager. If there are a large number among =
us who feel that way,=0A>=A0 =A0 then the list manager could let that be kn=
own, and we could take the=0A>=A0 =A0 suggestion seriously. If not, then le=
t's continue as we have in the=0A>=A0 =A0 past.=0A> =0A> Craig=0A> =0A> =0A=
> =0A> On 7/18/2011 12:39 PM, Carole Hurlbut wrote:=0A> I would appreciate =
discussions to be respectful and positive. I delete=0A> some emails and may=
 need to use a filter or block. Thanks to members who=0A> make positive cho=
ices in their responses. I appreciate it.=0A> =0A> Carole=0A> =0A> From: Br=
ad Johnston<mailto:[log in to unmask]>=0A> Sent: Monday, July 18, 2011 1=
1:05 AM=0A> To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>=
=0A> Subject: Re: How to deal with a crackpot=0A> =0A> Note this, Geoffrey.=
 See what I mean? There's nothing "crackpot" about=0A> "All Gaul is divided=
".=0A> =0A> Bully the chickens and they won't reply. They just won't. No on=
e likes to=0A> be bullied as Dick Veit likes to [try to] bully me.=0A> =0A>=
 (I changed email addresses because Internet Explorer is having problems=0A=
> that effect my old address. I now use Google Chrome and a new Yahoo=0A> a=
ddress.=A0 Nothing evil or devious about it.)=0A> =0A> "exactly what he wan=
ts", b.t.w, is very clearly, and reasonably, stated=0A> in All Gaul is divi=
ded. Maybe, just maybe, the chickens don't want you in=0A> their hen house,=
 Dick. If you ever ask them what they want, ask them if=0A> they want me in=
 their hen house. If they (grammarians) don't, I will=0A> withdraw with con=
siderably more good grace that you exhibit below.=0A> =0A> .brad.18july11.=
=0A> =0A> ________________________________=0A> From: Dick Veit <dickveit@GM=
AIL.COM><mailto:[log in to unmask]>=0A> To: [log in to unmask]<mailto=
:[log in to unmask]>=0A> Sent: Monday, July 18, 2011 11:28 AM=0A> Sub=
ject: How to deal with a crackpot=0A> Why am I again getting mail from our =
resident crackpot, when I put a=0A> filter on my email account to block his=
 messages?=0A> =0A> Answers:=0A> 1. He changed his email address (so I will=
 now block the new one too).=0A> 2. Non-crackpots keep responding to his ma=
il. At long last, can't people=0A> realize that it is exactly what he wants=
? Just stop responding to him, no=0A> matter what crazy things he says to p=
rovoke you.=0A> =0A> ~~~~~=0A> =0A> Date:=A0 =A0 Sun, 17 Jul 2011 06:35:31 =
-0700=0A> From:=A0 =A0 Brad Johnston=0A> <[log in to unmask]><mailto:br.=
[log in to unmask]>=0A> Subject: All Gaul is divided=0A> Regarding the poss=
ible division of the two main parts of ATEG, which I=0A> hope will be consi=
dered at the annual meeting, it seems to me that the=0A> goal of grammar is=
 that we all might be on the same page, literally and=0A> figuratively, so =
that we might be better able to understand one another.=0A> =0A> Understand=
ing one another doesn't depend on where words and conventions=0A> came from=
 as much as what they mean. Linguists look at what people=0A> actually say =
and write, (and said and wrote), whereas grammarians try to=0A> agree on wh=
at makes sense to most of us most of the time. Linguists have=0A> different=
 training, different interests, and different goals. They look=0A> at what =
divides us (descriptive grammar), while grammarians look for what=0A> joins=
 us together (prescriptive grammar).=0A> =0A> When the linguists, who domin=
ate the ATEG listserv, go off on one of=0A> their arcane tangents, the gram=
marians politely say to the linguists,=0A> "that's interesting", but it's r=
ather like a corn farmer saying "that's=0A> interesting" to a cattle ranche=
r who describes the particulars of raising=0A> Holsteins. What interests th=
e linguists IS interesting, it just isn't=0A> what makes the grammar world =
go around.=0A> =0A> The demonstrable result is that the linguists tend to c=
arry on their=0A> exotic discussions on this listserv and the grammarians t=
end to lurk in=0A> the shadows. I propose to you that there should be a way=
 to better serve=0A> the grammarians, of whom there are thousands in this c=
ountry, and who=0A> each have questions about the day-to-day of teaching gr=
ammar.=0A> =0A> The grammarians can go somewhere else, of course, and maybe=
 they do, but=0A> since ATEG is the Assembly for the Teaching of English Gr=
ammar, why is it=0A> not appropriate that ATEG concern itself with English =
Grammar and let the=0A> linguists go elsewhere and ponder, in a different v=
enue, those things=0A> that interest them?=0A> =0A> br-had.sun.17july11.=0A=
> .=0A> =0A> To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's w=
eb=0A> interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and sele=
ct=0A> "Join or leave the list"=0A> =0A> Visit ATEG's web site at http://at=
eg.org/ =0A> To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's w=
eb=0A> interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and sele=
ct=0A> "Join or leave the list"=0A> =0A> Visit ATEG's web site at http://at=
eg.org/ =0A> =0A> To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the lis=
t's web=0A> interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and=
 select=0A> "Join or leave the list"=0A> =0A> Visit ATEG's web site at http=
://ateg.org/ =0A> =0A> To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit th=
e list's web=0A> interface at:=0A>=A0 =A0 =A0 http://listserv.muohio.edu/ar=
chives/ateg.html =0A> and select "Join or leave the list"=0A> =0A> Visit AT=
EG's web site at http://ateg.org/=0A> =0A> To join or leave this LISTSERV l=
ist, please visit the list's web=0A> interface at:=0A>=A0 =A0 =A0 http://li=
stserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html=0A> and select "Join or leave the list=
"=0A> =0A> Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/=0A> =0A--=0Amcjsa@123m=
ail.org=0A=0ATo join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's w=
eb interface at:=0A=A0 =A0 http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html=0A=
and select "Join or leave the list"=0A=0AVisit ATEG's web site at http://at=
eg.org/=0A

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

--0-905509043-1311175906=:63679

ad><body><div style=3D"font-family:bookman old style, new york, times, seri=
f;font-size:12pt"><DIV></DIV>=0A<DIV>I'm not sure why nobody has said this =
on this thread yet, but not all grammarians are prescriptivists. </DIV>=0A<=
DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>=0A<DIV>Paul D.<BR>&nbsp;</DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3D"tahom=
a, new york, times, serif">"If this were play'd upon a stage now, I could c=
ondemn it as an improbable fiction" (_Twelfth Night_ 3.4.127-128).</FONT> =
=0A<DIV><BR></DIV>=0A<DIV style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: bookman old style, new york=
, times, serif; FONT-SIZE: 12pt"><BR>=0A<DIV style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: bookman =
old style, new york, times, serif; FONT-SIZE: 12pt"><FONT size=3D2 face=3DT=
ahoma>=0A<HR SIZE=3D1>=0A<B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold">From:</SPAN><=
/B> M C Johnstone &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;<BR><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-WEIGH=
T: bold">To:</SPAN></B> [log in to unmask]<BR><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-=
WEIGHT: bold">Sent:</SPAN></B> Wed, July 20, 2011 8:58:13 AM<BR><B><SPAN st=
yle=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Subject:</SPAN></B> Re: How to deal with a crackp=
ot<BR></FONT><BR>Larry,<BR><BR>I agree with you about dual sympathies and t=
hink that the ATEG list is<BR>enriched by a variety of opinion. I understan=
d what Brad is saying below<BR>in All Gaul although I'm not sure what a gro=
up of prescriptivist<BR>grammarians would have do to, other than prescribin=
g, and I've heard<BR>much more than anyone ever should hear about the past =
perfect.<BR><BR>If I had my druthers, I'd go with the linguists and their "=
arcane<BR>tangents," but it needn't come to that. Brad can easily start a<B=
R>prescriptive grammar list and invite participants. I have seen this done<=
BR>on other lists in
 response to similar complaints.<BR><BR>Mark<BR><BR>On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 13:=
08 -0500, "Larry Beason" &lt;<A href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]" ymailt=
o=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>&gt;<BR>wrote:<BR=
>&gt; I'd suggest we not split the list, esp since I think a number of us<B=
R>&gt; identify with both grammarians and linguists.&nbsp; Setting aside a =
portion of<BR>&gt; the list is in effect creating a new list within a list,=
 and there are<BR>&gt; practical problems.&nbsp; For instance, as the overa=
ll ATEG list grows and<BR>&gt; changes, will newcomers know there are essen=
tially two lists?&nbsp; How often<BR>&gt; does the list manager have to upd=
ate and revise these sub-lists?&nbsp; I think<BR>&gt; it's a bit much to as=
k list managers to keep up with such matters.&nbsp; I<BR>&gt; might be miss=
ing something, but it seems to me it would be overreacting<BR>&gt; to some =
minor disputes.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; If someone wants to create a non-ATEG
 list devoted to grammar and<BR>&gt; linguistics--fine.&nbsp; I think a num=
ber of us would want to join that one<BR>&gt; also.&nbsp; But I for one see=
 no reason to encourage creating various<BR>&gt; sub-groups that have far m=
ore in common than they have differences.&nbsp; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I've spen=
d most of my career in the shadow of a split between literature<BR>&gt; and=
 composition/rhetoric faculty (if not a split between composition and<BR>&g=
t; rhetoric, for heaven's sake), and it seems to me the splitting of this<B=
R>&gt; list into grammarians vs linguists is not productive to either good<=
BR>&gt; discussions of language or to our scholarly and teaching community.=
&nbsp; I've<BR>&gt; grown tired of such false dichotomies, and I suspect I'=
m not alone.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Larry<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; ______________________=
______<BR>&gt; Larry Beason, Associate Professor<BR>&gt; Director of Compos=
ition<BR>&gt; University of South Alabama<BR>&gt; Mobile, AL
 36688-0002<BR>&gt; Office: 251-460-7861<BR>&gt; FAX: 251-461-1517<BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; "Dixon, Jack" &lt;<A href=3D"mailto:Jack.Dix=
[log in to unmask]" ymailto=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">Jack.Dixon@LONE=
STAR.EDU</A>&gt; 7/18/2011 12:42 PM &gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; Excellent suggesti=
on.&nbsp; &nbsp; Grammarians, communicate directly with the list<BR>&gt; ma=
nager.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar<=
BR>&gt; [mailto:<A href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]" ymailto=3D"mail=
to:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>] On Behalf Of Cra=
ig Hancock<BR>&gt; Sent: Monday, July 18, 2011 11:47 AM<BR>&gt; To: <A href=
=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]" ymailto=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]
.EDU">[log in to unmask]</A> <BR>&gt; Subject: Re: How to deal with a=
 crackpot<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; If I am not mistaken, it is possibl=
e to direct messages directly to<BR>&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; the keeper of the lis=
t. If
 there are grammarians among us who would<BR>&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; like to see =
the list (or a portion of the list) set aside for<BR>&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; gram=
marians only (as Brad would define it), without commentary from<BR>&gt;&nbs=
p; &nbsp; linguists, then perhaps they should communicate that directly to =
the<BR>&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; list manager. If there are a large number among us=
 who feel that way,<BR>&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; then the list manager could let th=
at be known, and we could take the<BR>&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; suggestion seriousl=
y. If not, then let's continue as we have in the<BR>&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; past.=
<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Craig<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; On 7/18/2011 12:=
39 PM, Carole Hurlbut wrote:<BR>&gt; I would appreciate discussions to be r=
espectful and positive. I delete<BR>&gt; some emails and may need to use a =
filter or block. Thanks to members who<BR>&gt; make positive choices in the=
ir responses. I appreciate it.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Carole<BR>&gt;
 <BR>&gt; From: Brad Johnston&lt;mailto:<A href=3D"mailto:br.hadvines@YAHOO=
.COM" ymailto=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>&gt=
;<BR>&gt; Sent: Monday, July 18, 2011 11:05 AM<BR>&gt; To: <A href=3D"mailt=
o:[log in to unmask]" ymailto=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">ATE=
[log in to unmask]</A>&lt;mailto:<A href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]
EDU" ymailto=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</=
A>&gt;<BR>&gt; Subject: Re: How to deal with a crackpot<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; No=
te this, Geoffrey. See what I mean? There's nothing "crackpot" about<BR>&gt=
; "All Gaul is divided".<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Bully the chickens and they won't=
 reply. They just won't. No one likes to<BR>&gt; be bullied as Dick Veit li=
kes to [try to] bully me.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; (I changed email addresses becau=
se Internet Explorer is having problems<BR>&gt; that effect my old address.=
 I now use Google Chrome and a new Yahoo<BR>&gt; address.&nbsp; Nothing evi=
l or
 devious about it.)<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; "exactly what he wants", b.t.w, is ver=
y clearly, and reasonably, stated<BR>&gt; in All Gaul is divided. Maybe, ju=
st maybe, the chickens don't want you in<BR>&gt; their hen house, Dick. If =
you ever ask them what they want, ask them if<BR>&gt; they want me in their=
 hen house. If they (grammarians) don't, I will<BR>&gt; withdraw with consi=
derably more good grace that you exhibit below.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; .brad.18ju=
ly11.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; ________________________________<BR>&gt; From: Dick =
Veit &lt;<A href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]" ymailto=3D"mailto:dickveit@G=
MAIL.COM">[log in to unmask]</A>&gt;&lt;mailto:<A href=3D"mailto:dickveit@G=
MAIL.COM" ymailto=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>&gt;<=
BR>&gt; To: <A href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]" ymailto=3D"mailto:A=
[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>&lt;mailto:<A href=3D"=
mailto:[log in to unmask]"
 ymailto=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>&g=
t;<BR>&gt; Sent: Monday, July 18, 2011 11:28 AM<BR>&gt; Subject: How to dea=
l with a crackpot<BR>&gt; Why am I again getting mail from our resident cra=
ckpot, when I put a<BR>&gt; filter on my email account to block his message=
s?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Answers:<BR>&gt; 1. He changed his email address (so I =
will now block the new one too).<BR>&gt; 2. Non-crackpots keep responding t=
o his mail. At long last, can't people<BR>&gt; realize that it is exactly w=
hat he wants? Just stop responding to him, no<BR>&gt; matter what crazy thi=
ngs he says to provoke you.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; ~~~~~<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Date:&n=
bsp; &nbsp; Sun, 17 Jul 2011 06:35:31 -0700<BR>&gt; From:&nbsp; &nbsp; Brad=
 Johnston<BR>&gt; &lt;<A href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]" ymailto=3D"m=
ailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>&gt;&lt;mailto:<A hre=
f=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]"
 ymailto=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>&gt;<BR>=
&gt; Subject: All Gaul is divided<BR>&gt; Regarding the possible division o=
f the two main parts of ATEG, which I<BR>&gt; hope will be considered at th=
e annual meeting, it seems to me that the<BR>&gt; goal of grammar is that w=
e all might be on the same page, literally and<BR>&gt; figuratively, so tha=
t we might be better able to understand one another.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Under=
standing one another doesn't depend on where words and conventions<BR>&gt; =
came from as much as what they mean. Linguists look at what people<BR>&gt; =
actually say and write, (and said and wrote), whereas grammarians try to<BR=
>&gt; agree on what makes sense to most of us most of the time. Linguists h=
ave<BR>&gt; different training, different interests, and different goals. T=
hey look<BR>&gt; at what divides us (descriptive grammar), while grammarian=
s look for what<BR>&gt; joins us together (prescriptive
 grammar).<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; When the linguists, who dominate the ATEG lists=
erv, go off on one of<BR>&gt; their arcane tangents, the grammarians polite=
ly say to the linguists,<BR>&gt; "that's interesting", but it's rather like=
 a corn farmer saying "that's<BR>&gt; interesting" to a cattle rancher who =
describes the particulars of raising<BR>&gt; Holsteins. What interests the =
linguists IS interesting, it just isn't<BR>&gt; what makes the grammar worl=
d go around.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; The demonstrable result is that the linguists=
 tend to carry on their<BR>&gt; exotic discussions on this listserv and the=
 grammarians tend to lurk in<BR>&gt; the shadows. I propose to you that the=
re should be a way to better serve<BR>&gt; the grammarians, of whom there a=
re thousands in this country, and who<BR>&gt; each have questions about the=
 day-to-day of teaching grammar.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; The grammarians can go so=
mewhere else, of course, and maybe they do, but<BR>&gt; since ATEG
 is the Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar, why is it<BR>&gt; not=
 appropriate that ATEG concern itself with English Grammar and let the<BR>&=
gt; linguists go elsewhere and ponder, in a different venue, those things<B=
's web<BR>&gt; interface at: <A href=3D"http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives=
/ateg.html" target=3D_blank>http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html</=
A> and select<BR>&gt; "Join or leave the list"<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Visit ATEG'=
s web site at <A href=3D"http://ateg.org/" target=3D_blank>http://ateg.org/=
</A> <BR>&gt; To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's =
web<BR>&gt; interface at: <A href=3D"http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/at=
eg.html" target=3D_blank>http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html</A> =
and select<BR>&gt; "Join or leave the list"<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Visit ATEG's w=
eb
 site at <A href=3D"http://ateg.org/" target=3D_blank>http://ateg.org/</A> =
<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the lis=
t's web<BR>&gt; interface at: <A href=3D"http://listserv.muohio.edu/archive=
s/ateg.html" target=3D_blank>http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html<=
/A> and select<BR>&gt; "Join or leave the list"<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Visit ATEG=
's web site at <A href=3D"http://ateg.org/" target=3D_blank>http://ateg.org=
/</A> <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit t=
he list's web<BR>&gt; interface at:<BR>&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <A href=3D"=
http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html" target=3D_blank>http://lists=
erv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html</A> <BR>&gt; and select "Join or leave th=
e list"<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Visit ATEG's web site at <A href=3D"http://ateg.or=
g/" target=3D_blank>http://ateg.org/</A><BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; To join or leave =
this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web<BR>&gt; interface at:<BR>&g=
t;&nbsp;
 &nbsp; &nbsp; <A href=3D"http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html" ta=
rget=3D_blank>http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html</A><BR>&gt; and=
 select "Join or leave the list"<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Visit ATEG's web site at =
<A href=3D"http://ateg.org/" target=3D_blank>http://ateg.org/</A><BR>&gt; <=
BR>--<BR><A href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]" ymailto=3D"mailto:mcjsa@123ma=
il.org">[log in to unmask]</A><BR><BR>To join or leave this LISTSERV list, p=
lease visit the list's web interface at:<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; <A href=3D"http:/=
/listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html" target=3D_blank>http://listserv.mu=
ohio.edu/archives/ateg.html</A><BR>and select "Join or leave the list"<BR><=

Date:    Thu, 21 Jul 2011 01:02:45 +0300
From:    M C Johnstone <[log in to unmask]>

--_----------=_1311199365208101
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 18:02:45 -0400

I didn't mean to imply that grammarians must be prescriptivists.
I was referring to Brad's dichotomy:

> They [linguists] look
> at what divides us (descriptive grammar), while grammarians
look for what
> joins us together (prescriptive grammar).

Mark

"The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound.
Fortunately, in England at any rate, education has no effect
whastoever."
- Lady Bracknell in "The Importance of Being Earnest"

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 08:31 -0700, "Paul E. Doniger"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I'm not sure why nobody has said this on this thread yet, but not
all grammarians are prescriptivists.

Paul D.

wrote:
> I'd suggest we not split the list, esp since I think a number
of us
> identify with both grammarians and linguists.  Setting aside a
portion of
> the list is in effect creating a new list within a list, and
there are
> practical problems.  For instance, as the overall ATEG list
grows and
> changes, will newcomers know there are essentially two lists?
How often
> does the list manager have to update and revise these
sub-lists?  I think
> it's a bit much to ask list managers to keep up with such
matters.  I
> might be missing something, but it seems to me it would be
overreacting
> to some minor disputes.
>
> If someone wants to create a non-ATEG list devoted to grammar
and
> linguistics--fine.  I think a number of us would want to join
that one
> also.  But I for one see no reason to encourage creating
various
> sub-groups that have far more in common than they have
differences.

> I've spend most of my career in the shadow of a split between
literature
> and composition/rhetoric faculty (if not a split between
composition and
> rhetoric, for heaven's sake), and it seems to me the splitting
of this
> list into grammarians vs linguists is not productive to either
good
> discussions of language or to our scholarly and teaching
community.  I've
> grown tired of such false dichotomies, and I suspect I'm not
alone.

> Larry
>
> ____________________________
> Larry Beason, Associate Professor
> Director of Composition
> University of South Alabama
> Mobile, AL 36688-0002
> Office: 251-460-7861
> FAX: 251-461-1517

PM >>>
> Excellent suggestion.    Grammarians, communicate directly with
the list
> manager.

[6][log in to unmask]<mailto:[7][log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: How to deal with a crackpot
>
> Note this, Geoffrey. See what I mean? There's nothing
"crackpot" about
> "All Gaul is divided".
>
> Bully the chickens and they won't reply. They just won't. No
one likes to
> be bullied as Dick Veit likes to [try to] bully me.
>
> (I changed email addresses because Internet Explorer is having
problems
> that effect my old address. I now use Google Chrome and a new
Yahoo
> address.  Nothing evil or devious about it.)
>
> "exactly what he wants", b.t.w, is very clearly, and
reasonably, stated
> in All Gaul is divided. Maybe, just maybe, the chickens don't
want you in
> their hen house, Dick. If you ever ask them what they want, ask
them if
> they want me in their hen house. If they (grammarians) don't, I
will
> withdraw with considerably more good grace that you exhibit
below.

> .brad.18july11.
>
> ________________________________
> From: Dick Veit
<[8][log in to unmask]><mailto:[9][log in to unmask]>
[10][log in to unmask]<mailto:[11][log in to unmask]>

--
interface at:
    [25]http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html

  To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's
  web interface at:
  http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join
  or leave the list"

References

1. mailto:[log in to unmask]
2. mailto:[log in to unmask]
3. mailto:[log in to unmask]
4. mailto:[log in to unmask]
5. mailto:[log in to unmask]
6. mailto:[log in to unmask]
7. mailto:[log in to unmask]
8. mailto:[log in to unmask]
9. mailto:[log in to unmask]
  10. mailto:[log in to unmask]
  11. mailto:[log in to unmask]
  12. mailto:[log in to unmask]
  13. mailto:[log in to unmask]
  14. http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html
  15. http://ateg.org/
  16. http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html
  17. http://ateg.org/
  18. http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html
  19. http://ateg.org/
  20. http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html
  21. http://ateg.org/
  22. http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html
  23. http://ateg.org/
  24. mailto:[log in to unmask]
  25. http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html
  26. http://ateg.org/

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 18:02:45 -0400

<!--/*SC*/DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"/*EC*/-->
body{padding:1ex;margin:0;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:small}a[href]{col
or:-moz-hyperlinktext!important;text-decoration:-moz-anchor-decoration}block
quote{margin:0;border-left:2px solid #144fae;padding-left:1em}blockquote
blockquote{border-color:#006312}blockquote blockquote
style="font-family: Arial; font-size: medium;" dir="ltr"><div>
	I didn&#39;t mean to imply that grammarians must be prescriptivists.
I was referring to Brad&#39;s dichotomy:</div>
	&nbsp;</div>
	&gt; They [linguists] look<br />
	&gt; at what divides us (descriptive grammar), while grammarians
look for what<br />
	&gt; joins us together (prescriptive grammar).</div>
	&nbsp;</div>
	Mark</div>
	&nbsp;</div>
	&quot;The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound.
Fortunately, in England at any rate, education has no effect
whastoever.&quot;</div>
	- Lady Bracknell in &quot;The Importance of Being
Earnest&quot;</div>
	&nbsp;</div>
			On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 08:31 -0700, &quot;Paul E.
Doniger&quot; &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt; wrote:</div>
times, serif;font-size:12pt">
					&nbsp;</div>
					I&#39;m not sure why nobody has said
this on this thread yet, but not all grammarians are prescriptivists.</div>
					&nbsp;</div>
					Paul D.<br />
					&nbsp;</div>
tahoma,&quot; new york&quot;,&quot; times&quot;,&quot; serif&quot;;
">&quot;If this were play&#39;d upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction&quot; (_Twelfth Night_ 3.4.127-128).</span>
					&nbsp;</div>
new york, times, serif; FONT-SIZE: 12pt">
style, new york, times, serif; FONT-SIZE: 12pt">
						<hr size="1" />
small; font-family: Tahoma; "><span style="font-weight: bold"><span
style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">From:</span></span> M C Johnstone
&lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;<br />
[log in to unmask]<br />
8:58:13 AM<br />
with a crackpot</span><br />
						Larry,<br />
						I agree with you about dual
sympathies and think that the ATEG list is<br />
						enriched by a variety of
opinion. I understand what Brad is saying below<br />
						in All Gaul although I&#39;m
not sure what a group of prescriptivist<br />
						grammarians would have do
to, other than prescribing, and I&#39;ve heard<br />
						much more than anyone ever
should hear about the past perfect.<br />
						If I had my druthers,
I&#39;d go with the linguists and their &quot;arcane<br />
						tangents,&quot; but it
needn&#39;t come to that. Brad can easily start a<br />
						prescriptive grammar list
and invite participants. I have seen this done<br />
						on other lists in response
to similar complaints.<br />
						Mark<br />
						On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 13:08
-0500, &quot;Larry Beason&quot; &lt;<a
defang_ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]"
href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</a>&gt;<br />
						wrote:<br />
						&gt; I&#39;d suggest we not
split the list, esp since I think a number of us<br />
						&gt; identify with both
grammarians and linguists.&nbsp; Setting aside a portion of<br />
						&gt; the list is in effect
creating a new list within a list, and there are<br />
						&gt; practical
problems.&nbsp; For instance, as the overall ATEG list grows and<br />
						&gt; changes, will newcomers
know there are essentially two lists?&nbsp; How often<br />
						&gt; does the list manager
have to update and revise these sub-lists?&nbsp; I think<br />
						&gt; it&#39;s a bit much to
ask list managers to keep up with such matters.&nbsp; I<br />
						&gt; might be missing
something, but it seems to me it would be overreacting<br />
						&gt; to some minor
disputes.<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt; If someone wants to
create a non-ATEG list devoted to grammar and<br />
						&gt;
linguistics--fine.&nbsp; I think a number of us would want to join that
one<br />
						&gt; also.&nbsp; But I for
one see no reason to encourage creating various<br />
						&gt; sub-groups that have
far more in common than they have differences.&nbsp;<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt; I&#39;ve spend most of
my career in the shadow of a split between literature<br />
						&gt; and
composition/rhetoric faculty (if not a split between composition and<br />
						&gt; rhetoric, for
heaven&#39;s sake), and it seems to me the splitting of this<br />
						&gt; list into grammarians
vs linguists is not productive to either good<br />
						&gt; discussions of language
or to our scholarly and teaching community.&nbsp; I&#39;ve<br />
						&gt; grown tired of such
false dichotomies, and I suspect I&#39;m not alone.<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt; Larry<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt;
____________________________<br />
						&gt; Larry Beason, Associate
Professor<br />
						&gt; Director of
Composition<br />
						&gt; University of South
Alabama<br />
						&gt; Mobile, AL
36688-0002<br />
						&gt; Office: 251-460-7861<br
/>
						&gt; FAX: 251-461-1517<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&quot;Dixon, Jack&quot; &lt;<a
defang_ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]"
href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</a>&gt;
7/18/2011 12:42 PM &gt;&gt;&gt;<br />
						&gt; Excellent
suggestion.&nbsp; &nbsp; Grammarians, communicate directly with the list<br
/>
						&gt; manager.<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt; From: Assembly for the
Teaching of English Grammar<br />
						&gt; [mailto:<a
defang_ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]"
href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</a>] On
Behalf Of Craig Hancock<br />
						&gt; Sent: Monday, July 18,
2011 11:47 AM<br />
						&gt; To: <a
defang_ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]"
href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</a><br />
						&gt; Subject: Re: How to
deal with a crackpot<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; If I am
not mistaken, it is possible to direct messages directly to<br />
						&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; the keeper
of the list. If there are grammarians among us who would<br />
						&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; like to
see the list (or a portion of the list) set aside for<br />
						&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp;
grammarians only (as Brad would define it), without commentary from<br />
						&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; linguists,
then perhaps they should communicate that directly to the<br />
						&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; list
manager. If there are a large number among us who feel that way,<br />
						&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; then the
list manager could let that be known, and we could take the<br />
						&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; suggestion
seriously. If not, then let&#39;s continue as we have in the<br />
						&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; past.<br
/>
						&gt;<br />
						&gt; Craig<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt; On 7/18/2011 12:39 PM,
Carole Hurlbut wrote:<br />
						&gt; I would appreciate
discussions to be respectful and positive. I delete<br />
						&gt; some emails and may
need to use a filter or block. Thanks to members who<br />
						&gt; make positive choices
in their responses. I appreciate it.<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt; Carole<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt; From: Brad
Johnston&lt;mailto:<a defang_ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]"
href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</a>&gt;<br />
						&gt; Sent: Monday, July 18,
2011 11:05 AM<br />
						&gt; To: <a
defang_ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]"
href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</a>&lt;mailt
o:<a defang_ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]"
href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</a>&gt;<br
/>
						&gt; Subject: Re: How to
deal with a crackpot<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt; Note this, Geoffrey.
See what I mean? There&#39;s nothing &quot;crackpot&quot; about<br />
						&gt; &quot;All Gaul is
divided&quot;.<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt; Bully the chickens and
they won&#39;t reply. They just won&#39;t. No one likes to<br />
						&gt; be bullied as Dick Veit
likes to [try to] bully me.<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt; (I changed email
addresses because Internet Explorer is having problems<br />
						&gt; that effect my old
address. I now use Google Chrome and a new Yahoo<br />
						&gt; address.&nbsp; Nothing
evil or devious about it.)<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt; &quot;exactly what he
wants&quot;, b.t.w, is very clearly, and reasonably, stated<br />
						&gt; in All Gaul is divided.
Maybe, just maybe, the chickens don&#39;t want you in<br />
						&gt; their hen house, Dick.
If you ever ask them what they want, ask them if<br />
						&gt; they want me in their
hen house. If they (grammarians) don&#39;t, I will<br />
						&gt; withdraw with
considerably more good grace that you exhibit below.<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt; .brad.18july11.<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt;
________________________________<br />
						&gt; From: Dick Veit &lt;<a
defang_ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]"
href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</a>&gt;&lt;mailto:<a
[...]
responding to his mail. At long last, can&#39;t people<br />
[...]
another doesn&#39;t depend on where words and conventions<br />
						&gt; came from as much as
what they mean. Linguists look at what people<br />
						&gt; actually say and write,
(and said and wrote), whereas grammarians try to<br />
						&gt; agree on what makes
sense to most of us most of the time. Linguists have<br />
						&gt; different training,
different interests, and different goals. They look<br />
						&gt; at what divides us
(descriptive grammar), while grammarians look for what<br />
						&gt; joins us together
(prescriptive grammar).<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt; When the linguists, who
dominate the ATEG listserv, go off on one of<br />
						&gt; their arcane tangents,
the grammarians politely say to the linguists,<br />
						&gt; &quot;that&#39;s
interesting&quot;, but it&#39;s rather like a corn farmer saying
&quot;that&#39;s<br />
						&gt; interesting&quot; to a
cattle rancher who describes the particulars of raising<br />
						&gt; Holsteins. What
interests the linguists IS interesting, it just isn&#39;t<br />
[...]
and ponder, in a different venue, those things<br />
						&gt; that interest them?<br
/>
						&gt;<br />
						&gt; br-had.sun.17july11.<br
/>
						&gt; .<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt; To join or leave this
LISTSERV list, please visit the list&#39;s web<br />
						&gt; interface at: <a
href="http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html"
target="_blank">http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html</a> and
select<br />
						&gt; &quot;Join or leave the
list&quot;<br />
						&gt;<br />
						&gt; Visit ATEG&#39;s web
site at <a href="http://ateg.org/" target="_blank">http://ateg.org/</a><br
/>
[...]
						&gt; interface at:<br />
						&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <a
href="http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html"
target="_blank">http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html</a><br />
						&gt; and select &quot;Join
[...]
						To join or leave this
LISTSERV list, please visit the list&#39;s web interface at:<br />
						&nbsp; &nbsp; <a
href="http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html"
target="_blank">http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html</a><br />
						and select &quot;Join or
leave the list&quot;<br />
						Visit ATEG&#39;s web site at
			To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit
the list&#39;s web interface at:
http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select &quot;Join or leave
the list&quot;
				Visit ATEG&#39;s web site at
http://ateg.org/</p>
To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:
--_----------=_1311199365208101--

End of ATEG Digest - 19 Jul 2011 to 20 Jul 2011 (#2011-132)