ATEG Archives

June 2008

From:
MC Johnstone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 17:24:03 +0300
STAHLKE, HERBERT F wrote:
> About the only German use of "ueber" that most Americans are aware of is in the title of the national anthem, and that only because of the notoriety the Nazis gave it.  So it gets borrowed with a high back rounded vowel and the sense "excessive(ly)".
>
> Herb
Well, there is also the song, "California Uber Alles", circa 1979 by the
Dead Kennedy's, a punk band from San Francisco. I see uber used as a
kind of superlative on the net, but have no idea how mainstream it has
become. A common sighting in the wild is "uber noob". This is mostly
confined to the gaming community. This sense seems more like "super"
than "excessively".

Mark