ATEG Archives

March 2015

From:
"Prof. Richard Grant WAU" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2015 10:19:28 -0400
Students may be more or less aware of their subject, but they are not naturally aware of text. A great deal of textuality occurs at the level of the sentence. Sentences are not independent units. They participate in the construction of text.

Nicely stated, Craig. And your note about cohesion in texts (and ultimately, coherence) ties this thread together with the recent one about passive voice, which can also serve as a powerful cohesive force.

Richard