ATEG Archives

December 2011

From:
"Hancock, Craig G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Dec 2011 15:22:18 +0000
     Dick's choices are thoughtful and probably the best. But I think you could defend the choices. Each of these people is committing a single life. They are not committing each other's lives. And the gender is mixed, so "his" won't fit and "his or her" is awkward.
    "The political forces  that led the three Musketeers to commit their lives..." If the choice was a team choice and a team commitment, the plural would be even more appropriate.
    Is this a hard and fast "rule" or is the writer able to construct a more nuanced meaning by choosing the singular? In the publshed form,I think it emphasizes that each committed a singular life. The "their" is an alternative to "his or her."

Craig