ATEG Archives

April 2012

From:
Carol Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2012 12:58:06 -0700
A friend of mine recently asked if an apostrophe should appear at the end of her family's name on a door decoration: "The Romano's." I answered no, that apostrophes are not added to names to make them plural; for example, "The Wilsons just moved into the neighborhood" or "The Changs are having a picnic." But if the last name is being used to indicate possession, then an apostrophe would be appropriate. A problem arises when deciding wehre to place the apostrophe in the following sentences:

1) The Jones's house is for sale.
2) The Jones' house is for sale.
3) The Joneses' house is for sale.

Which would be correct? Also, if the name is changed:

1) Tom Romano's house is for sale.
2) The Romanos' house is for sale. (indicating that the house is owned by more than 1 Romano)
***3) The Romano's house is for sale.

***This is incorrect; is it not? Because it would imply that "Romano" is one person. Or are we to assume "The Romano" stands for "The Romano Family" which would be treated as a single entity, hence "The Romano's house is for sale."

Thank you.

Carol the Confused