ATEG Archives

February 2001

From:
Siobhan Casson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:03:13 -0000
Hi - you don't mention which aspects of grammar in the classroom research you are talking about? Are you referring to research done on the effect on children's writing?
There's a long history of debate over this in the UK - but perhaps it's different in the US. Give me some more details, and I may be able to dig something out for you.
I don't know if you would be able to help me too?
I'm doing research with primary school teacher students. I'm looking at _their_ knowledge about grammar, and the kind of knowledge they might need to have. I'd like to know what kind of thing happens in US primary and secondary schools in relation to grammar - is it still taught on a national scale, or is it totally dependent on  each state government. Is it traditional, or influenced by Chomsky? What happens in teacher training?
Our areas of research may not directly cross - but we may be able to help each other!
Thanks
Siobhan Casson
University of Durham
UK