ATEG Archives

August 2001

From:
"Glauner, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 08:25:02 -0500
Mary Lou,

You are probably achieving about the right balance with this little test.
We are less touchy about who and whom in spoken English and somewhat more
touchy in written English.  Johanna is right in suggesting that it is a rare
speaker of English who automatically uses who and whom right because of
their association with case.  What your test does is associate who and whom
with another set if pronouns (he and him) that most of us do get right most
of the time.  In literature, we learn through metaphors in much the same
way.

My usual disclaimer.  What is right and wrong in English language use is
relative to what is assumed to be standard by whatever authority is present
in a particular context.  Job applicants have been denied employment by
employers who have mistakenly judged the use of who and whom in the
applicants' resumes.  Of course, I wouldn't want to work for such persons
anyway.

Jeff Glauner
Associate Professor of English
Park University, Box 1303